Disputing the Terms of Your Divorce Post-Divorce

Get the help you need!

Divorce can be tough, but what if the terms no longer suit you? It’s common to need to dispute or modify the terms after the fact. Fortunately, there are legal options available to address these post-divorce disputes and ensure that your rights and interests are protected.

In Colorado, there are two main avenues for disputing the terms of your divorce after it has been finalized. These are:

Post-Decree Modifications

Changes in circumstances since the divorce decree? Modify the court’s orders. Changes in circumstances can pertain to child custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support, and even property division. Common reasons for seeking modifications include job loss, changes in income, relocation, health issues, or changes in the needs of the child.

To modify a post-decree court order, file a motion explaining the change in circumstances. The court will review the request and make a decision based on the best interests of the child and other relevant factors.

Enforcement Actions

If your ex-spouse is not complying with the divorce agreement, file an enforcement action. This ensures they fulfill their obligations, including child or spousal support payments, visitation rights and property/asset transfers.

To enforce your divorce agreement, file a motion with the court citing the violations and requesting remedies. The court may order your former spouse to comply, impose penalties, or modify the agreement as necessary.

In both post-decree modification and enforcement actions, it is crucial to consult with an experienced family law attorney who can guide you through the legal process, help you gather the necessary evidence, and advocate for your rights. They can assess the merits of your case and protect your best interests.

If your divorce terms no longer work for you, legal options exist to dispute or modify them. Post-decree modifications and enforcement actions can help with significant changes or non-compliance. Consult a family law attorney to navigate the process and protect your rights.

If you would like to discuss post-decree modification or have questions about your divorce, please contact our team of experienced family law attorneys at the Drake Law Firm today by giving us a call at 720-797-6790.

Skip to content