Golden, CO, Grandparents’ Rights Lawyer

Get the help you need!

Grandparents’ Rights in Golden, CO

Most people agree that it takes a village to raise a child. Still, some parents attempt to keep their children away from their grandparents. The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is vital to the children’s overall well-being. Thus, Colorado recognizes that grandparents have the right to see their grandchildren, even if one parent fights against it during a contentious divorce.
Our Golden, CO, grandparents’ rights lawyer can help you petition for visitation. We can also assist in filing for an allocation of parental responsibilities if your grandchild does not currently live with his or her parents.

Grounds for Filing for Visitation

Our Golden, CO, grandparents’ rights lawyer can help you petition for visitation if one or more of the following has occurred:
  • The parents are legally divorced.
  • The parents are legally separated.
  • The marriage is not valid.
  • The child is not living with either parent.
  • The grandparent’s child, who is the legal parent, has passed away.

Requesting Visitation

If you meet the criteria, you can file for visitation to see your grandchildren. Our Golden, CO, grandparents’ rights lawyer can negotiate with the other side to attempt to set a visitation schedule. However, these cases sometimes must be tried in front of a judge.
The judge will evaluate the evidence to see if regular visits are in the best interests of the child. If they are, the judge can then set a visitation schedule. Because these cases are up to the judge’s discretion, it’s wise to have an attorney by your side. Your lawyer will present evidence and advocate for your rights as a grandparent.

Contact Us Today for
Your Consultation

Call Now: (303) 261-8111
About Us Side form
*Required Fields

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Why Choose The Drake Law Firm, P.C.?

  • Schedule A Consultation – Discuss your case with us during your consultation.
  • Highly Reviewed and Recognized – The Drake Law Firm, P.C. has numerous five-star reviews on Google, Facebook, Martindale, Birdeye, and other review sites. In addition, Marie E. Drake has been recognized as a top attorney by Avvo and a top lawyer by the American Law Society.
  • Numerous Practice Areas – Our law firm focuses on family law, divorce, child custody and child support.
  • Non-adversarial and Aggressive Legal Strategies – The Drake Law Firm, P.C. helps families  solve disputes through non-adversarial resolution strategies. However, our firm is always ready to litigate cases before a judge.
  • A Firm That Gives Back – Our firm is committed to the community and giving back. By supporting charitable organizations, such as Living Journeys, we hope to make Golden, CO, a better place for everyone.

Child Custody And Grandparents’ Rights

In most cases, grandparents just want visitation with their grandchildren. However, in some circumstances, grandparents request custody to protect and care for the child. You can file for custody of your grandchild if he or she is no longer under the care of his or her parents. For example, if law enforcement removed your grandchild from the family home due to substance abuse issues, you can petition for custody. Then, your grandchild can avoid going into foster care.

You can also petition for custody of your grandchild if he or she has been living with you for at least six months. You must file for custody within six months of your grandchild moving out, if applicable.

Our Golden, CO, grandparents’ rights lawyer can go over your case to see if you qualify for custody. If you don’t, we can explore other options that can help you and your grandchild.

Evidence For Visitation And Custody

Your Golden, CO, grandparents’ rights lawyer will gather evidence to support your right to visitation or custody. This might include evidence that the parents are deceased, incarcerated, or suffer from substance abuse problems. It could also be evidence of your close relationship with your grandchild and how he or she will be negatively impacted if the bond is severed. Because these cases require a great deal of evidence, it’s important to get started as soon as possible. Then, your lawyer can prepare everything and file a legal claim so you can assert your rights as a grandparent.

Terminating And Modifying Visitation Agreements

Visitation agreements can be modified or even terminated. In order for this to happen, something substantial must have changed. For instance, if the child is adopted or the grandparent’s child loses his or her parental rights, the agreement can be terminated or modified. Also, the court will evaluate the child’s changing needs to see if the agreement is still in his or her best interests.

Real Clients, Real Testimonials

Contact Us

Contact Form Home
*Required Fields

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to
answer your questions or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Skip to content